You know I love the whole strategy scene. It’s just the way I tend to think. So when I came across Juicing the Orange: How to Turn Creativity into a Powerful Business Advantage I was really excited to see that behind Fallon’s huge success over the last 25 years is a very well formulated set of guiding principles. These are very transferable and each of them would make a great stand-alone discussion. Here they are:
- Always start from scratch.
- Demand a ruthlessly simple definition of the business problem.
- Discover a proprietary emotion.
- Focus on the size of the idea, not the size of the budget.
- Seek out strategic risks.
- Collaborate or perish.
- Listen hard to your customers (then listen some more).
Now, check it out. When we’re defining our strategy we’ve got to begin with these ideas. We’ve got to start with strategy and THEN develop the creative elements of our marketing efforts. If we don’t we’ll end up with the tail wagging the dog.