In recent days I’ve thought a lot about the things that started me on the path I’m on today. And I keep coming back to Tom Peter’s book In Search of Excellence. I don’t remember now why I read it. I was already committed to the adventure of building the church. I was in seminary (of all places). Somehow I picked up a copy and began to read it. I still have my beat up paperback copy, full of underlined passages, starred sections, and cryptic notes in the margins. I remember thinking page after page how relevant it was to what I was preparing to do. And I mark that book as being the first cause that led me to this place…where I am constantly on the lookout for insights that help me see more clearly what we could be doing.
- A Bias for Action is Job One. (Create a discipline/culture of excellence!)
- Decentralization! Accountability! (Tom’s Top Two: 1965 – 2005)
- Fail. Forward. Fast. ("Reward Excellent Failures, Punish Mediocre Successes.")
- "Metabolic Management" Matters! (Hustle! Adapt! EAT CHANGE! Win the "O.O.D.A. Loop" War—Confuse Your Competitors!)
- INNOVATE or Die. ("Game-changers" or Bust! Lead the Customer! Just Shout "No" to Imitation!)
- A Damn Good Product. (Pursue "Dramatic Difference.")
- A Damn Cool Product. (Design Rules!)
- Ride the Value Added Curve to the Sky! Sell "GamechangerSolutions"; Provide "Scintillating Experiences"; Become a "Dream Merchant"; Strive to Be a "Lovemark.")
- Relentlessly Pursue the "Big Two" Markets. (WOMEN Buy Everything. Boomers & Geezers Have All the Money!)
- Best "Talent"/Roster Wins! (HR Rules! Everyone a Leader! Women Lead Best! "Weird" Matters Most! A Workplace to Brag About! Educate for Creativity!)
- Wanted/Demanded: Radical Technology Strategies! ("Incrementalism" Is for Wimps!)
- Hard Is Soft! Soft Is Hard! (People! Passion! Enthusiasm! Wow! INTEGRITY! TRUST! Good Citizen.)
- Accept No Less Than EXCELLENCE! (Excellence, Pursuit thereof, Is the Only Thing That Vaults Everyone Out of Bed in the Morning.)
What do you think? Do you see the relevance?