Ever sat down with your team and dreamed big dreams…only to wake up 2 years later and feel like you’re still in the same place? In fact, you’re sure that corner is the same one you’ve been turning on a regular basis for the last several years?
I came across these great questions in The Prepared Mind of a Leader : Eight Skills Leaders Use to Innovate, Make Decisions, and Solve Problems. This could be the basis for a great off-site. Here they are:
- Where are we? No brainer, right? First you need to know where you’re starting from.
- Where do we want to go? Again, it’s important and so basic that you know where it is that you’re trying to get to.
- How do we get from where we are to where we want to be? Ok, now we’re getting somewhere. In fact, I like the idea of highlighting, underlining, and putting in all caps the word, HOW. As in HOW do we get from where we are…Only when we get very practical do we really have a chance to get there.
- What assumptions are we making about our situation? This is a big one. If you just tease out interaction from your whole team on this one, you’ll have a much more productive off-site. You’ll discover how different their ideas really are about where you are, where you’re going and how you can get there.
- How is our opportunity space changing? Are you aware of the new opportunities that are emerging that might change the business you’re in? The book uses the great illustration of Apple. Are they a computer company? Or a music company? What’s true for your organization? Is it even the same business as it was 5 years ago?
Let’s just say we all need to be having these discussions. There’s absolutely no point in dreaming if you’re not being intentional about getting there.