- Sharpen the Focus: Start the brainstorming process by clearly articulating a customer need.
- Write playful rules: Ideo’s primary brainstorming rules are simple: “Defer judgment” and “One conversation at a time.”
- Number your ideas: Totally okay to say things like, “Let’s go for 100 ideas.”
- Build and jump: Brainstorming has a rhythm. It gathers momentum and then plateaus. Good facilitators know how to launch it, get out of the way, and then step back in when it slows.
- Make the space remember: Use post-it notes, flip charts, white-boards and butcher paper. Advantage goes to movable and rearrangeable.
- Stretch your mental muscles: Start with warm-up exercises. Road-trips, videos, experiences all prime the pump to fire the imagination.
- Get physical: Show-and-tell, build prototypes, cross-pollinate from other industries.
Image by Steve Johnson
IDEO’s Brainstorming Rules