I picked up The Orange Code: How ING Direct Succeeded by Being a Rebel with a Cause off my stack this week. I can already see why so many have been raving about it. Written by ING Direct founder and CEO Arkadi Kuhlmann and Bruce Philp, founder of GWP Brand Engineering*, this is a really well-written story. Even better, it’s the story of how ING Direct succeeded in dramatic fashion led by a leader with a cause.
The first few pages captivated me as an analysis of “what it takes to be the leader of an organization with a cause:
- It takes a calling. Sound familiar? It ought to. This is already at the very center of how so many of us operate.
- It take the guts to make it personal. Again, isn’t that the way it really is?
- It takes a powerful enemy.
- It takes an inner circle.
- It takes the possibility of failure.
*If you didn’t check out GWP Brand Engineering…you need to do that now, if only to roll your curser over the men’s bathroom drawing in the scrolling images below.