Got a vision statement? Sure you do. Happy with it? Probably not. Just a guess…but it may not even be your vision statement. Might be a slightly doctored version of another organization’s statement. Might not even be slightly doctored…might be word for word. Truth be told? Been there, done that. Want to develop your own? Here are the five rules of a contagious vision statement from Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement:
- The Junior High Rule: Can a 12-year-old boy who has not been to church understand it? (Clear)
- The One Breath Rule: Can it be stated in one breath? (Concise)
- The Resonance Rule: When people say it do they want to say it again? (Compelling)
- The Actionability Rule: Does it inspire action on the part of the participant? (Catalytic)
- The Bouquet Rule: Do the words communicate biblical truth arranged for the listener’s time and place? (Contextual)
When you run your vision statement through these 5 rules, how does it come out? Weak? Or strong?
Want more? You can pick up your copy of Church Unique right here.